Friday, June 18, 2010

Social Late Nights = Blog Neglect

Late nights and social plans has been the theme this week with it getting progressively worse... or I mean later nights. It started out Sunday with an hour late plane returning to Oslo resulting in a midnight arrival at the Kongsberg hotel. From lack of sleep in Bodo (maybe from the lack of darkness?), I attempted bed at 8pm on Monday night, unsuccessfully. A couple hours later I finally dozed.

Tuesday night was Chef Sas at my coworker Camilla's house. I cooked for her last time and she appreciated it. This time the menu was stuffed mushrooms, roasted garlic bulb on bread, sweet potato fries, and portugese tomato soup. It was delicious and refreshing after a dieat of bread & cheese, or food from restaurants. Camilla had prepared a raspberry mousse with raspberries from last year's harvest at her parent's place. Awesome. Once at the hotel, my current eye candy non-fiction book kept me up. It was magically turning page by thrilling page through the story (Ship of Gold) and so I was entranced and unable to fall into slumber until 11, or was it midnight?

Wednesday the 5 course meal was worked off. After plugging away on the computer all day, another coworker, Margaret, took me for a trail run up the mountain and along a ridge. I was breathless for the first 15-20 minutes but was able to adjust for the rest of it. She had a serious skill of dodging the roots and rocks, earning her the name Twinkle Toes, or even Mountain Warrior. It was a great work-out and view from the top. We rested on her balcony afterwards for a glass of gassy water. Not my usual post workout refreshment, but it more or less did the trick. Upon returning to the hotel, calling Jamie, and more book shinanigans, sleep didn't happen until around midnight.

Thursday was the grand finale. It was the local company's summerfest, or company summer party. My friend (expat coworker) and I were fortunate enough to be invited. I had brought a cheap cowboy hat on this trip (CU alumni giveaway) as a prop to use when walking around the office & factory the first day... "I've got my lasso and I'm here to corral y'all together. Now don't cha worry, I left the whip at home..." However cowgirl Sas didn't quite make her appearance as the opportunity just wasn't right. So, the cowboy hat sat in the office. It turned out the company summer part was themed Cowboys, so the prop was the perfect accessory for the party. What a coincidence, I've only worn this hat 1 other time. Actually, about half of the guests had cowboy (or Australian) hats on and a couple even had chaps on!

Moving on... the party started at 5pm and there were some team building activities (stacking hay bales as high as possible, shooting cowbells with bee-bee guns, building a bridge with oversized lincoln logs, how many people can you fit on a 1x1m platform -11 for my team). The games were great fun. A catered, barbeque-styled buffet followed next, lakeside. A hired group of ladies line danced and had a teaching session, then the country band warmed up and led us all in the line dancing. Bales of hay lined the gravel dance floor and the music (all american country) continued. It started to feel like a 8th grade dance. People standing around talking with drinks, while some of the guys went up to girls to ask them to dance. It was not something that I was used to, but it certainly was fun. I wish more US companies did such festivities.

The party was over at 11:30pm (bus arrived for transport then) and so everyone boarded. I got off in town with a dozen other folks (1/2 being managers) and we went out for a night cap. A mojito was handed to me, by a coworker whom had conversed with me earlier on how bartenders hate making mojitos because they are so much effort. It was just like him to order them, he is a good button-pusher. I did appreciate it though... there was no dessert at the party, this was a sweet minty way to finish the night. The hotel bed greeted me at 2am. The latest night yet.

Even with the late social nights, the days were busy and productive. I am working hard since I only have 1 more week to make an impact and influence the supplier. Only 1 more week!

I'm in a sweet hotel in Prague right now and my eyes are propped open with sheer enjoyment on keeping up the blog. For dinner I had a potato soup served in a very proper bread bowl, ginger ale, and a large ramikin of rhubarb pear crumble topped with honey sour cream. It's something I may try to replicate at home. Any guinea pigs? The total number on the bill was a little less than what it'd be in Norway (216), except here I get to divide it by 20 for the conversion, instead of 5. It ended up being the equivalent of $10. Wow, cheap!

Tomorrow is expected to be a soggy day of walking. I'm going to rest up well tonight! Enjoy.

No comments: