Saturday, June 5, 2010

Belguim Beer, Biking & Beach

Well, I found an "internet cafe" called Snooker Palace. The place is no internet cafe as you think of it. It can best be described as a back room to a dive bar that happends to have computers, or better yet... the dirty attic of a smoker's house. It's really that bad.

Yesterday I made it to Brugge, Belguim via Brussels. It was literally planes, trains, and automobiles (almost in that order). I wasn't good for much last night other than a search for an hotel with availability, a crepe, and glass of vino on the center square.

Today's plans were to check out town/shops of Brugge and do some chocolate tastings. I didn't get to the former, and the latter turned into buying Belguim chocolates 15 minutes after the store was supposed to close (6:15pm)... let alone tasting.

The morning started bright & early at 5am, thanks to a friendly gnat around the headboard. Oh, and the diesel trucks having a parking contest in the square in front of the hotel. Sleep was hopeless so I started in on my book for a couple hours. I was timely for the hotel breakfast of bread, butter & tea and out the door to investigate the results of the diesel trucks... they had turned into stores... a market of a sort. Most of it was disappointing. The majority of the products resembled shirts, socks, pantyhose, skirts, etc. that stores couldn't sell over the past 5 years. The section I was doubling back for was the food. I bought some bread at the most popular bakery table, Belguim hard cheese from the cheese display, and 2 pastries (why decide between 2 when there is no one else to weigh in on the decision? get both!).

A quick trip to the hotel to pack up my backpack and I was on my way for batteries and sunblock. The weather is amazing, but I'll go into that on another post. On the way there, I passed a bike rental shop over-running w/ people. So I went and rented a bike for 4 hours (current time- 9:30am). I wasn't sure if I could see it all by foot anyways, so a bike would at least help me get a layout of the city. I bought batteries and used the SPF 50 tester from a pharmacy shop and was on my way!

Or, so I thought. After a few turns here and there, I realized Brugge is much bigger than originally anticipated and I had no idea how to get out. There is no way the roads here are parallel. I stopped and asked an older fellow who "looked the local Brugge part"... or at least walked w/ confidence. He was excited to hear the English and asked where I'm from in the US. He lived in Chicago for the middle 40 years of his life (he was born in 1939). He knew where I should go, but instead of explaining it, he said to follow him. So I sat on my bike and walked it along next to him while we chatted. We detoured to a fancy rich family's house and then down to the circular moat bordering the Southeast side of the city. At this point I could've rode off and go on my way, but the conversation was interesting so I kept paddling my sandal along the path. At an intersection, he invited me for a drink before my ride... and thought... why not? So across the street we went to a pub on a busy corner and grabbed an outdoor table. The waiter came quickly, and my new friend asked what kind of beer I'd like. Hmmm, for those that know... this is not a question for me 'cause I don't like beer. That being said, I can't tell that to the Belguim guy who has offered to buy me one. I also don't want to leave here never having tried one. So, I asked if there is a fruity/sweet option. There was (Kriek) and I really enjoyed it. Think beer equivalent of a wine cooler. Less alcohol content and all. Half-way through the glasses I broke out the pastries and we finished them. The conversation covered everything from US destinations (he lived in NY & CO), his job as a TWA pilot, to his father's Nazi imprisonment (Belguim army POWs let go after 3 months due to Nazi's confidence), to being back in Brugge where he was born. Interesting guy and it was a good way to start the day... although it was around 11am when we finished.

I rode my bike. I stopped in Damme. I rode my bike more. I stopped in Silius. I rode my bike more and slowed down near Kokke, and followed the salty breeze to the beach where I ate what was left of my picnic lunch (bread & cheese). Then I got completely lost in Kokke (even after asking 3 people) for about 30-40 minutes. Finally I found my way and returned to Brugge. It was an epic ride through the most beautiful flat terrain I've ever biked. Miles of double tree grove lined canals (double tree groves on both sides of the canals) connecting awesome cobblestone, quaint towns. The beach was as wide or wider than the LA beaches... same air & water temps too. I purchased some trinkets in the towns. My challenge tomorrow will be getting them all to fit in my 1 backpack with my clothes. Ryanair, I might be layering on the clothes tomorrow. They are super strict on their carry-on qualifications, hence discount airline.

All sweated out, I returned the bike at 5:30... a whopping 8 hours after I rented it for 4. The guy thanked me and took the bike. I told him I need to pay him more money. He shook his head. I insisted I need to pay him for another 4 hours and he stood firm. Okay, then... I'll go buy myself another beer! Cheers!

All I could think about was ice water, cold shower, ice cream, and (gulp) cold fruity beer. So that's what I did... in that order. Dinner (crazy goat cheese medallion salad) happened after all of that.

My legs are empty, my wallet is tired... I think it's about time to check in and finish the day how I started. Drinking a fruity book. Goodnight!

No comments: